Jamaica is bringing reggae vibes and island flavor to this weekend’s Nautica New York City Triathlon. As official sponsor of The Jamaica Entertainment Zone, the destination will be featured at the weekend-long series of Triathlon events, including the UnitedHealthcare Sports & Wellness Expo, Central Park Underwear Run, and JetBlue Finish Fest Celebration. The Jamaica Entertainment Zone will feature live reggae music, giveaway items, as well as information on the destination and its sports tourism offerings, including Jamaica’s upcoming 2009 WATA Rose Hall Triathlon. Participants and spectators will also have opportunities to win trips to Jamaica, courtesy of Riu Montego Bay and JetBlue.
“Health, wellness and sports continue to be of growing popularity in Jamaica, and teaming up with the Nautica New York City Triathlon allows us to celebrate sports excellence of both amateur and professional athletes,” states John Lynch, Jamaica’s Director of Tourism. “With this being the second year Jamaica will host the WATA Rose Hall Triathlon and Wellness Festival in Montego Bay, we are thrilled to have this opportunity to introduce dedicated athletes to our competitive sports offerings.”
Jamaica will also have a presence among the athletes of this year’s event, as the island’s own Patrick Lee is traveling to New York to participate in the Triathlon. Jamaica is known for being a dominant force in track & field, and will be well-represented with Lee’s debut at the Nautica NYC Triathlon. Lee has an impressive athletic record, having completed several marathons, triathlons and Ironman competitions.
WHAT: Jamaica is bringing island flavor to this weekend’s series of 2009 Nautica New York City Triathlon events, including the UnitedHealthcare Sports & Wellness Expo, Central Park Underwear Run, and JetBlue Finish Fest Celebration. Stop by The Jamaica Entertainment Zone at each of the Triathlon events, featuring live reggae music; giveaway items; information on the destination and its sports tourism offerings, including the island’s upcoming WATA Rose Hall Triathlon; and a chance to win a trip to Jamaica! Also meet and interview Jamaican triathlete Patrick Lee.
***** PHOTO & INTERVIEW OPPORTUNITIES *****
Jamaica Tourist Board representatives and Jamaican triathlete Patrick Lee will be available for interviews Stop by the Underwear Run to see the creative Jamaican costumes!
***** JAMAICA TRIP GIVEAWAYS & LIVE MUSIC *****
WHEN/WHERE: UnitedHealthcare Sports & Wellness Expo, July 24th & 25th
- Sheraton New York Hotel & Towers, 811 7th Avenue at 53rd Street
- Friday, July 24th from 12:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. and Saturday, July 25th from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- JAM-X reggae band performs Friday from 3:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. and Saturday from 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. at the Jamaica Entertainment Zone
- Jamaica Tourist Board handing out sweatbands to all registered triathletes
- Free and open to the public
Central Park Underwear Run, July 24th
- Cherry Hill, Central Park near 72nd Street
- Friday, July 24th 7:30 p.m.
- Reggae music by The All Stars Band featuring Ansel Meditations performing from 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. at the Jamaica Entertainment Zone
- Are encouraged to dress “Jamaican” and the runner with the best costume wins a trip to Jamaica!
Nautica New York City Triathlon JetBlue Finish Fest, July 26th
- Central Park – Dead Road near 72nd Street
- Sunday, July 26th from 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Reggae music by The All Stars Band featuring Ansel Meditations performing from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
- Enter to win a trip to Jamaica at The Jamaica Entertainment Zone
WHO: Representatives from the Jamaica Tourist Board, Jamaican athlete Patrick Lee, The All Stars Band Featuring Ansel Meditations and JAM-X reggae band.
WHY: Health, wellness and sports continue to be of growing importance in Jamaica, especially as the island looks to host its 2nd annual WATA Rose Hall Triathlon on October 31, 2009.