The Office of Disaster Preparedness and Emergency Management (ODPEM) is advising that Tropical Storm Olga has been downgraded and is now a depression. As Olga moves closer to Jamaican waters, it is expected to pass north of the island. The Met Office has therefore extended the Flash Flood Warning that has been in effect for low lying and flood prone areas across the island until 5:00pm today.
- Several communities in the Corporate Area were impacted by the rains which pummeled the island last night into this morning. Among the worst affected areas are: Harbour View, Bull Bay and some sections of August Town.
- The York Park Fire Station carried out response efforts in August Town and Harbour View
- Parish Disaster Coordinators remain on standby for emergency operations
The ODPEM will continue to monitor the situation and is advising persons to monitor the media for further updates.
FLOOD SAFETY TIPS:
- DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CROSS FLOODED ROADWAYS
- Listen to your radio to keep informed
- Do not walk outside barefooted during or after flooding
- Move your refrigerator, stove and furniture to a higher floor, or place them on building blocks and secure to the wall.