OFFICE OF DISASTER PREPAREDNESS AND EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT
NEWS RELEASE #1 ISSUED ON: Wednesday, November 21, 2007 at 10:15 a.m.
The Office of Disaster Preparedness and Emergency Management (ODPEM) is reporting that outbreaks of showers yesterday, November 20, 2007, affected 12 persons in Zion, Trelawny. They were flooded out of their homes and had to take shelter at the Allend High School.
The water is now receding and these persons are returning home.
The public is advised to take the following precautions if flooding is possible in your area:
- Be ready to evacuate if you live in low-lying or flood-prone areas. Decide on likely evacuation routes now. Plan to stay with family or friends in safer areas or in a public shelter and move to safety.
- Avoid flooded waterways, gullies, streams or rivers, either on foot or in vehicles.
- Move your refrigerator, stove and furniture to a higher floor, or place them on building blocks and secure to the wall.
- Do not walk outside barefooted during or after the flood event.
- Bury all dead animals right after flooding has subsided.
Contact: Kerry-Ann Morris, Information Officer, [email protected]