Reggae Marathon & Half Marathon & 10K
Dates December 04 to December 06, 2008
Location Negril, Jamaica
The Marathon, Half-Marathon and 10K, start at Long Bay Beach Park situated along Negril’s famed 7-mile white sand beach. The course loops into the town of Negril then heads north towards the town of Green Island.
The mostly flat course is an IAAF certified marathon and half-marathon course.
Thursday, December 4
* Registration Opens – Couples Swept Away Sporting Complex (1:00 pm to 500 pm)
Friday, December 5
* Registration & Runner Packet Collection – Couples Swept Away Sporting Complex (10:00 am to 9:00 pm)
* JHTA ‘World’s Best’ Pasta Party – Couples Swept Away Sporting Complex
(5:30 pm to 7:30 pm)
* Village Bash – Burger King Parking Lot, Negril Town Square (8:00 pm)
Saturday, December 6
* Reggae Marathon & Half Marathon & 10K start- Long Bay Beach Park (5:15 am)
* Victory & Awards Ceremony – Negril Escape – West End (5:00 pm to 9:00pm)
* START and FINISH at Long Bay Beach Park on Norman Manley Boulevard
* Start Time: 5:15 am; course remains open for 7 hours
* Water/Aid Stations every mile — 25 in all, manned by experienced marathoners and enthusiastic volunteers
* Cooling stations with misters and iced towel wraps
* Inspirational Reggae Music at every mile
* Closed lanes for runners
* A certified IAAF & AIMS marathon course meeting international standards.
The event is sanctioned by the Jamaica Amateur Athletic Association (JAAA).
* Medical stations positioned along the course and staffed by a premier multi-disciplinary medical team with a helicopter on call for airlift to hospital.
* The temperature should be a low of 76°F at the start of the race. With low annual rainfall, rain is not expected.
* In its eighth year, the Reggae Marathon & Half Marathon has earned the reputation for being a well-organized international event, focused on runner enjoyment. Participants combine an island vacation and a great sporting event for a truly unique experience.
* Maximum 3,000 participants allowed.
* www.reggaemarathon.com provides updated race information and should be checked regularly up to race day.
“By the way, your race is the best organized of all the marathons I have run, so far, including New York and Chicago. “………Emmanuel A. Enujioke, Ph.D 2006
“I have run over 15 marathons in several different states in the USA. This is truly the best because the amenities, friendly atmosphere and definitely the most awesome pasta party. I plan on making this an annual event. It is truly the best kept marathon secret.”..Dianne Worrell, 2006
“In the end . . . a flawless event. Jamaica’s sunshine and friendly people make it the perfect December destination . . . the event is among the best around and well worth
the trip . . . race organization was flawless . . . “Leesa Weichert, Running Network 2002, Chicago
Organizers & Partners
* The Jamdammers Running Club of Kingston www.jamdammers.com
* The Jamaica Tourist Board
* The Negril Chapter of the Jamaica Hotel Tourist Association (JHTA)
* The Jamaica Amateur Athletic Association (JAAA).
* The Negril Chamber of Commerce
* The Volunteer communities of Negril and Green Island
* The Ministry of Health & the Sports Medicine Association of Jamaica
Online via www.reggaemarathon.com Or, by mail to Reggae Marathon 2008,
87-89 Tower Street, Kingston, Jamaica
Deadlines: Mail Entries postmarked November 25, 2008 ;
Online December 1, 2008 (“no problem, man”)
THERE WILL BE NO RACE DAY REGISTRATION OR PACKET PICK-UP.
Entry Fee & Rules
Marathon and Half-Marathon: US$85.00 per person on or before July 31, 2008
US$95.00 per person after August 1, 2008
10K US$60.00 per person or before July 31, 2008, US$70.00 after August 1, 2008 min age 10 years
Entry fees are NOT REFUNDABLE or TRANSFERABLE.
Participants must be 18 years or older on race day; for the half marathon, 14 yrs or older
* Commemorative finishers medal
* Official Reggae Marathon t-shirt
* Free entry to the World’s Best Pasta Party
* Free entry to the Victory Party & Awards Ceremony
* Over US$10,000 in total prize money
* The Bob Marley and Rita Marley Trophies awarded to the male and female winners of the Reggae Marathon
* Age group awards for Under 20, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59 and 60 years & over
* Special prize category for High School Boys & Girls in the Half Marathon.
Scoring & Results
* ChampionChip timing system
* Live online tracking of runners along the course at www.reggaemarathon.com and interim results posted during the race.
* Live web cast of the finish line on line at www.reggaemarathon.com
* PUMA Running; Jamaica Tourist Board; Jamdammers Running Club of Kingston; The Jamaica Hotel Tourist Association (JHTA) – Negril Chapter; Digicel; JAAA;
Contact Info: Race Director: Alfred ‘Frano’ Francis
87-89 Tower Street, Kingston, Jamaica
Tel: 1 876-922-8677; Fax: 1-876-922-0155
Email: [email protected]