The Fourth Annual Young, Gifted & Black (YGB) Entrepreneurial Awards to honor Black History month will be held Monday, February 23rd 2009 at the world famous S.O.B.’s, 204 Varick Street at West Houston, New York City. “Fueled by a total commitment to exposing the musical wealth and heritage of the Afro-Latino Diaspora to as many people as possible, Larry Gold opened the doors to what would become New York City’s premier venue for world music; Sounds Of Brazil, commonly known as S.O.B.’S.”
Note: This is a change of venue for this year’s Y.G.B. Awards as the event was previously scheduled to be held at LOLA is SOUL in SoHo which apparently lost it’s lease at the end of January.
The ‘Continued Pursuit of Success’ has been the motto by which the event’s organizer and producer, Carl O. Gray – President & CEO, The NetLinkz Group, Inc., & Co-Founder of the United Caribbean Professional Network (UCPN) keeps endeavoring to create as a positive impact within his network by acknowledging individuals who don’t get the recognition they deserve for their hard work , perseverance, and dedication towards success.
The 4th Annual Young, Gifted & Black (YGB) Entrepreneurial Awards program as always places an emphasis on an individual’s ability to reach levels of success through hard work and determination. There isn’t a formal selection criterion to receive this award, rather than a peer-to-peer acknowledgement & appreciation of the awardees drive for success outlined by where they have been in life to where they are now as ambassadors of the entrepreneurial spirit. In honoring Black History month, the individuals selected are also being acknowledged based on their Talents, Ambition & Achievements Toward The Continued Pursuit of Success! Mr. Gray feels that there are many individuals in our lives that do not get the accreditations or notoriety because they are not mentioned in the media, but they are impactful at what they do for their industry and community. Individuals selected to receive the honor were done partially through a committee nomination and chosen directly by Mr. Gray.
JAMROCK Magazine is the title sponsor for this year’s Y.G.B. Awards providing additional exposure for this event within the Caribbean community. “JAMROCK offers a unique mix of coverage that surpasses any Caribbean publication on the market. In keeping with our vision “ONE PEOPLE, ONE CULTURE,” JAMROCK is committed to showcasing the culture and lifestyle of all Caribbean people and their powerful influence.” , which are sentiments noted in the publication by 2006 Y.G.B. Award recipient David “Squeeze” Annakie, President & CEO – Linkup Media Inc. Mr. Annakie was also a recipient of a 2008 Governor’s Proclamation given to him on behalf of the Y.G.B. Awards program for his continued support.
The 2009 awardees will include the following confirmed individuals:
- Alicia Edwards: Designer: Serene Swimwear
- Alicia Marie Rivers: Founder & Editor: Jolie Magazine – www.jolie-magazine.com
- Anthony Herbert: Political Advocate – [email protected]
- Bernard Oyama: Owner: B. Oyama Fine Men’s Clothing
- Bintell Powell: Author of Betrayed – www.bintellpowell.com (2009 Motivator of Year Award)
- Christopher Mack: Owner: Mack Digital – www.mackdigital.com
- John & Marcus Blassingame: Owner: Black Men’s Magazine
- Lance Hall: Co-Owner: Fish Eye Grill, Brooklyn New York
- Marcia A. Cole: Editor: Amber Magazine – www.ambermag.com
- Mike Muse: President & Owner: Muse Records – www.muserecordings.com
- Mildred Boivert: Philanthropist: The Village of Vision for Haiti Foundation
- Pamela Pickens: Founder & CIO: UrbanAdServe – www.urbanadserve.com
- Reginald Dumornay: Co-Owner : Skillz, Parkslope Brooklyn – [email protected]
- Robert Gordon: Owner: Footprints Café – www.footprintscafeny.com
- Robert Stevens: Owner: Quizno’s Restaurant, Harlem NY – [email protected]
- Tina Ingram: Designer: Cursiv – www.Cursiv.com
- Juanito Fortuno, Co-Founder/CEO, Christopher S. Whyte, Jr., Co-Founder & Calcie Cooper, Co-Founder/CIO: Joint Interest Group: Promotional & Marketing Team – www.thejigroup.com
- Tabitha Goring, MD: Director of Hospitalist Services, Internal Medicine: Jacobi Medical Center
The YGB Awards program began in 2006 as a means to bring exposure to everyday individuals that represent a positive role model to their peers and provide a means by which onlookers can become inspired and motivated.